We are committed to protecting your privacy. We will use your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (the DPA) and other applicable laws and regulations that relate to data protection and privacy.
Who is the data controller in respect of your personal information?
For the purposes of the DPA, the primary data controller in respect of your personal information is B&Q plc (trading as TradePoint). As described below, we may share your personal information with other organisations who may receive and process your personal information as a data controller in their own right.
What information do we collect?
We may collect and process the following personal information about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms, including those on our Website. This includes, but is not limited to, information provided by you at the time of becoming a registered user or TradePoint Member (or any time thereafter) or if you enter any competition or promotion sponsored by us. This information could include your name, contact details and two forms of proof of trading status and identity.
- When you place order(s) for goods or services (whether on our Website or otherwise), we collect personal information to process and fulfil your order(s), including your payment card details and delivery address. If you become a registered user of our Website, you can save your payment card details and delivery addresses for future use.
- Details about the transactions you carry out with us, including through our Website. This includes, but is not limited to, any transactions carried out using your Trade UK Account Card (where applicable).
- Information about your preferences in connection with our Website, for the purposes of enhancing and personalising your experience on the Website.
- Information contained in and records of communications between us.
- Details of your visits to our Website, including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data and the resources that you access.
- We will also collect information concerning your marketing preferences.
How do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information in the following ways:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us; for example, to process and fulfil your orders;
- to manage our relationship and to administer your membership to any membership scheme we provide (including TradePoint membership);
- to manage and administer any other arrangements between you and us (or one or more of our affiliates), including, but not limited to, managing and administering your Trade UK Account Card (where applicable);
- to notify you about changes to our services;
- when you place an order we may carry out security checks to protect against fraudulent transactions and to prevent and detect criminal activity;
- to carry out market research; and
- to help us review, develop and improve the products and services we offer.
In accordance with your preferences, we may also use your personal information to contact you, by post, telephone, SMS, email and other electronic means, with information about products, services, promotions and offers that may be of interest to you. We may use your personal information in order to ascertain the products, services, promotions and offers that are likely to be of particular interest to you. You can choose not to receive this information by writing to TradePoint Data Processing Department, B&Q House, Chestnut Avenue, Chandler's Ford, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO53 3LE, United Kingdom, by reply to an SMS communication we send you or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal information may also be used by us, our employees, contractors or agents, and disclosed to third parties, in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce any agreement we have with or otherwise concerning you, or to protect our rights, property or safety or those of our customers, employees or other third parties.
With whom do we share your personal information?
We are a member of the Kingfisher Group of companies; for more information on the Kingfisher Group please visit: www.kingfisher.co.uk. We may disclose your personal information to other members of the Kingfisher Group in connection with the purposes above and those listed below.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- We use third parties to carry out certain activities on our behalf that involve the processing of personal information. For example, we may engage third party service providers to fulfil orders, carry out surveys and installations, deliver packages, send postal mail and email, tidy our databases of customer details, analyse data, provide marketing assistance, process card payments and provide customer service. These third parties have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
- We may pass personal information to external agencies and organisations (including the police and other law enforcement agencies) for the purpose of preventing and detecting fraud (including fraudulent transactions) and criminal activity. These external agencies may check the information we give them against public and private databases and may keep a record of such checks to use in future security checks. We may also disclose personal information to the police and other law enforcement authorities in connection with the prevention and detection of crime.
- In accordance with your preferences, we may share your personal information with other members of the Kingfisher Group and carefully selected third parties so that they may provide you, by post, telephone, SMS, email and other electronic means, with information about products, services, promotions and offers that may be of interest to you.
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, we may disclose personal information held by us about our customers to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets. If we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party (or subject to a reorganisation within our corporate group), personal information held by us about our customers will be one of the transferred assets.
We may share non-personal aggregate statistics (group) data about visitors to our Website, sales and traffic patterns with members of the Kingfisher Group and other parties. However we do not sell or share any information about you as an individual user of our Website unless you agree to us doing so.
Where will your personal information be processed?
Your personal information may be transferred to, and stored and processed in, one or more countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA), including countries which do not provide equivalent protection for personal information as the DPA. In these circumstances, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected in accordance with the requirements of the DPA.
Cookies are small text files that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and help us to track visitors to our Website so we can better understand what portions of the Website best serve you.
It is not possible to place orders and purchase goods and services using the Website unless you have cookies turned on and we recommend that you leave them turned on.
Our cookies enable us to provide features such as the ability to store items in your Shopping Basket between visits.
To find out more about the types of cookies we use on the Website, how we use them and how you can change your cookies settings please read our Cookies policy.
Please note that such third party websites are not under our control and we do not contribute to the content of such websites. When you click through to these websites you leave the area controlled by TradePoint. We do not accept responsibility or liability for any issues arising in connection with the third party's use of your data (including your personal information), the website content or the services offered to you by these websites.
How do we protect your personal information?
When you place orders or access your account information on our Website, we offer the use of a secure server. The Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology encrypts all information you input before it is sent to us.
Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we are able to disclose sensitive information to you.
The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure; this risk is common across the internet and not specific to our Website. We cannot guarantee the security of your data (including your personal information) transmitted to our Website; any transmission is at your own risk.
It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computing device. Be sure to sign off and close your browser when you have finished your user session. This will help to ensure that others do not access your personal information if you share your computing device or use a computing device in a public place such as a library or internet café.
What choices do I have?
Where you are a registered user of our Website, you can update any personal information we hold about you (excluding a company/business name) by using the My Account section on our Website and logging in using your username and password.
You may change your marketing preferences at any time by writing to TradePoint Data Processing Department, B&Q House, Chestnut Avenue, Chandler's Ford, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO53 3LE, United Kingdom, by reply to an SMS communication we send you or by email to email@example.com. You can choose to stop receiving marketing emails or SMS messages from us by following the unsubscribe link on the respective marketing emails or SMS messages we send you.
Access to your personal information
The DPA gives you the right to access your personal information. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the DPA. Any access request may be subject to a fee (currently not exceeding £10) to meet our costs in providing you with details of the personal information we hold about you. To request access to your personal information, please contact us using the details below.
How to contact us
- by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- by telephone on 0845 605 66 66 between the hours of 7am - 8pm Monday to Saturday and 10am - 4pm Sundays & Bank Holidays
- by writing to us at: TradePoint, B&Q House, Chestnut Avenue, Chandler's Ford, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO53 3LE, United Kingdom
This Policy was last updated on April 24th 2013.